This is an AmeriCorps VISTA position. Information about this program can be found here: http://www.americorps.gov/
Are you passionate about local food and improving food access for your friends and neighbors? Do you love farmers markets and creating safe, judgement free zones for folks to experience the joys of seasonal fruits and vegetables? Are you looking to get into a career in food systems or non-profits?
If you said yes to any or all of those questions, then apply to become a Local Food Action Plan Outreach VISTA member!
The Local Food Action Plan VISTA member will:
- Engage stakeholders to inform action items and priorities
- Develop and implement advocacy agenda items
- Assist with the development and implementation of projects and programs that positively impact the local food system
- Create economic opportunities for farmers and local food producers
In 2018, Field & Fork Network staff led the development of the Niagara Falls Local Food Action Plan (NFLFAP) which was approved by the Niagara Falls City Council in December 2018 as the official food plan for the City of Niagara Falls. The Plan provides a framework of actions to be undertaken to improve the local food system and increase food access amongst Niagara Falls residents.
Embedded within Field & Fork Network and supervised by the Project Director for the Niagara Falls Local Food Action Plan, the VISTA member will assist the Project Director and key partners in the planning, coordination, and execution of community outreach events and activities to gather information from key stakeholders to inform the work that is guided by the Niagara Falls Local Food Action Plan.
About Field & Fork Network:
Field & Fork Network is a New York State food and farming non-profit organization that connects communities to innovative solutions that foster a sustainable food system. Our work focuses on four important areas: agriculture economic development, food access, youth development and healthy neighborhoods.
About AmeriCorps VISTA
Since 1965, over 220,000 AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program have joined the fight against poverty by helping local organizations expand their capacity to make change. The VISTA program serves in each of the 50 U.S. states and in all U.S. territories.
Through capacity building activities such as fundraising, grant writing, research, and volunteer recruitment, AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program serve in an office setting and gain experience and leadership skills. This opportunity prepares members for a life of service in the public, private, or nonprofit sector.
Minimum Position Requirements:
- Be 18 years or older (no upper age limit)
- Hold one of the following citizenship or legal residency statuses: US citizen, US National, Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. Green Card status), and persons legally residing within a state. Examples of persons legally residing within a state may include those holding the following classifications: refugee, asylee, temporary protected status throughout VISTA service, and holding Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) status.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable vehicle required.
- A passion for increasing healthy food access for low-income community members.
- Strong skills in communicating, building relationships, and working with community members from diverse backgrounds, including immigrants and refugees, people of color, and low-income communities.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong public speaking skills or willingness to speak to large audiences (e.g. 15 or more persons).
- Strong analytical skills and ability to synthesize information from multiple sources into concise, easy to understand formats.
- An understanding of the stakeholders and considerations involved in sustainable food systems policy and planning.
- Childcare assistance if eligible
- $6,345 education award upon successful completion of service for either future education expenses or for payment of student loans OR a cash award of $1,800 upon successful completion of service
- Health coverage
- Living allowance
- Non-competitive eligibility (federal jobs)
- 10 sick days and 10 vacation days
- Relocation allowance (if applicable)
- Student loan forbearance and full payment of any interest accumulated during service upon successful completion of service
- Professional Development Opportunities
- Phone stipend
- Food assistance
- Additional benefits to be determined
Please send a resume and a brief description of your interest in the position to [email protected].
Applicants should indicate “Local Food Action Plan VISTA” in the subject line of the email.
Applications will be reviewed daily and the position will be filled based on AmeriCorps VISTA Member Orientation Dates. No phone calls please.